Monday 14 January 2013

Arriving in Jamaica

after a 12 hour flight(which included a 5 hour nap on the benches in Miami airport and the most delicious empanadas of all time...) my flight came in around noon in Kingston, which was a hot, busy city. Kwao greeted me at the airport, and after a few stops in the city we drove through the windy roads into the mountains on our way to Yerba Buena Farms in St. Mary parish on the other side of the island. The family raises bees, grows mushrooms, and keeps a little vegetable garden with bok choy (or pop cho like they call it here) and basil some corn. They got hit pretty badly by Hurrican Sandy and lost most of the fruit trees in their front yard as well as some roofs and windows. They are quick in the process of rebuilding. They have five boys ages 2-12 who are constantly full of energy. On my first day they took me down to their little beach by the farm. It is absolutely beautiful here, and from my hammock outside my house I can see to bright blue ocean and it feels like a tropical paradise. A pretty sweet place to be spending the rest of my quarter!
The Beach

The walk to my house (The yellow one on the right)
View of the sea

No comments:

Post a Comment